Thuraya Orion IP
Thuraya Orion IP
The search for high quality, affordable broadband is over
Thuraya Orion IP is a maritime-specific broadband terminal manufactured by Hughes Network Systems which supports broadband data communications at speeds up to 444 kbps.
- Internet access
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- File transfer (FTP)
- Video conferencing
- Video streaming
- Database synchronization
Small, lightweight and easy to install, Thuraya Orion IP is suitable for both business and crew communications. The terminal has been designed for users who want to take advantage of a simple IP connection to leverage the value-added hardware and software solutions provided to them by Thuraya Service Partners.
- Standard IP of up to 444 kbps (receive), 404 kbps (send)
- Streaming IP 384 kbps
- 4 x Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) ports (according to IEE 802.3af)
- 802.11b/g/n wireless LAN WPA2 access point
Email applications optimized for satellite networks with full control and visibility for the ship manager.
Use video conferencing for remote diagnostics, day-to-day meetings and tele-medicine.
Conform to the latest ECDIS regulations and ensure your vessel has the latest electronic navigation charts.
Remote IT Support
Rectify IT issues from your office that would have previously required a costly and time consuming vessel visit.
Get up-to-date information on the location of your assets via a comprehensive web portal, regardless of your location.
Engines and machinery are increasingly being monitored from shore. Trends in temperature, pressure and fuel consumption can be viewed with potential problems addressed before they have an impact on the vessel’s operations.
Using applications such as in instant messaging, Social Media services and Voice over IP, you can keep your crew happily connected to their friends and family.
On-Demand Data Plans
Data Speed 444 kbps
- 10 MB – Starts from 26 $ Per Month
- 75 MB – Starts from 163 $ Per Month
- 250 MB – Starts from 440 $ Per Month
- 500 MB – Starts from 675 $ Per Month
Unlimited Data Plans
Data Speed 444
- 1 GB – Starts from 1,050 $ Per Month*
- 5 GB – Starts from 1,467 $ Per Month*
- 15 GB – Starts from 2,054 $ Per Month*
- 30 GB – Starts from 2,714 $ Per Month**
Data Speed drops to 32 kbps* / 64 kbps** out of data plan limit
- 0.5 $ per Minute – Band 1 Countries (All Countries Except Cuba and East Timor)
- 4.45 $ per Minute – Band 2 Countries (Cuba, East Timor and Other Satellite Networks e.g. Inmarsat, Iridium, Globalstar etc.)
Contact Us for Detailed Data Plans
Scope of Supply
- Orion IP Satellite terminal
- HN321 Maritime antenna
- Maritime mounting kit
- WLAN Antenna
- Power cable for external power supply (10 – 31V DC)
- Spare 15 Amp ATO blade Fuse (x2)
- SIM cover plate
- 25m RF Coax Cable (N type-TNC)
- Installation Manual
- User Manual
- MBB SIM Card
- Satellite Airtime Plans
- V-Mail Software (to send/received email via Satellite – Inmarsat, Iridium etc.); Read More About V-Mail
|Dimensions||39 × 39 × 55 cm|
1. What is the Orion IP?
Orion IP is a product specifically designed for the maritime environment which provides IP connectivity for users at speeds of up to 444 kbps.
2. What is the composition of the Orion IP?
It consists of a Below Deck Unit (BDU) which can be installed anywhere inside the ship and a 3D stabilized above decks unit (ADU) connected together by a single RF cable.
3. What are the power requirements?
There is one power connection on the BDU. This must be connected to a 12 or 24Vdc supply. Minimum Voltage input is 10V, Maximum Voltage is 32V, Total current from Antenna to BDU (Max @12V) is 12A, Required Fuse is 15A (fast blow, ATO blade fuse)
4. How much power can the PoE ports deliver?
All four Ethernet interfaces support up to 15 Watts of power to each PoE powered device. The total power supplied by the PoE is limited to 30W maximum for 12V installations. The BDU automatically detects the class of the device plugged in and will apply power so that the total cannot exceed these limits. If the user attempts to connect a combination of devices that require more than this, the BDU will not power any devices that would cause the limit to be exceeded.
5. Are all PoE devices supported?
Class 4 (802.3at) PD devices are not supported.
6. How does the Orion IP maintain a connection to the satellite whilst on the move?
The Orion IP ADU is equipped with an auto-tracking system capable of pointing and tracking the Thuraya satellite automatically within the satellite region selected. An independent GPS receiver is incorporated inside the Antenna used for satellite beam selection and autonomous UT initiated beam-beam handover.
7. What is the Thuraya coverage like?
The Thuraya coverage footprint covers more than two-thirds of the globe across 160 countries in Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and Middle East. It also covers a vast majority of the world’s shipping lanes.
8. What are the types of services available on the Orion IP?
Two types of broadband data services are available, Standard IP and Streaming IP.
Standard IP, also known as Background IP or Variable Bit Rate (VBR) offers up to 444 kbps receive speed and transmit speed on a shared mode or best effort basis.
Streaming IP, also known as Constant Bit Rate (CBR) offers dedicated data connectivity ranging from 16 kbps to 384 kbps.
This is the only terminal of its type in the market that can achieve such high streaming rates on the move. Other terminals in the market achieve a maximum of 256 kbps, with limitations.
9. Who are the target subscribers for Orion IP?
Vessel owners, operators or charterers who need their vessels to be connected to the internet at sea. These range from merchant maritime, government organizations, fishing fleets and leisure boats.
10. Which company manufactures the Orion IP terminal?
Orion IP is manufactured by Hughes Network Systems, Inc., USA under agreement with Thuraya.
11. Do I have to install software on my PC before connecting the Orion IP?
Orion IP is a true plug and play device. The browser on your PC that supports Java can be used to operate this terminal and it will simply work out of the box. To get the best out of the product Thuraya recommends the use of value added services that have been optimized for use over a satellite link. There is a vast array of solutions available in the market to suit every requirement. Please consult with your Thuraya service partner for more information.
12. How can I get Thuraya Orion IP installed onboard my vessel?
Please email us with following information;
- Vessel Name & Type;
- Vessel Location, for installation;
- Selected Data Plan
Contact Us – Once we receive the email, we shall send you cost of equipment, installation charges, and Airtime Subscription cost.